How to Enjoy Waking Up
I am not a morning person. Really,…. Seriously,…. not a morning person! I was always the type to skip breakfast and wear whatever was easy just so I could grab a few extra minutes of sleep. With that being said, I learned how to enjoy waking up at 4:14am every morning.
IMPORTANT: Enjoying waking up doesn’t mean the it is EASY to wake up!
What if I told you that you can actually be excited to wake up and be in a good mood when you hear your alarm? Would you call me crazy? Most people do, but I guarantee that these simple steps will make it enjoyable to wake up no matter what time your alarm is set for!
4 Simple Steps to Enjoy Waking Up:
- Prep Work: When you watch your favorite cooking show or Today show cooking segment, you don’t see all of the prep work. The cutting, mixing, etc. is mostly done before filming begins because it is very important, but not fun. The same goes with the prep work for a good morning. I outline my best morning prep routine here: Morning Life Hack. Get all of the grunt work out of the way the night before so when your alarm goes off, you know that everything is ready for you.
- Set the Expectation for the Day: Take a few minutes before you go to sleep to think through your to do list and highlight a few key things that you will accomplish tomorrow. I go as far as writing daily notecards so I don’t forget by morning. Setting an expectation for the day will help you wake up with purpose.
- Upbeat Not Annoying: No normal person enjoys hearing the BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP of an alarm. The sound automatically causes you to wake up annoyed. Even the word alarm has a negative meaning: an anxious awareness of danger.
Instead of allowing yourself to wake up annoyed, set your alarm to play a song that you enjoy. I use my iPad mini and set it with a song out of my iTunes library, but most any device will have this feature. I chose songs that are upbeat and motivational in some way (or just an awesome beat!) Here are a few I use:
- Ali In The Jungle – Th Hours
- Started From the Bottom – Drake (Censored)
- Wake Me Up – Avicii
- Ten Thousand Hours – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Remember the Name – Fort Minor
- Radioactive – Imagine Dragons (featuring Kendrick Lamar)
- Superstar – Lupe Fiasco
- Good Life – One Republic
- BomBom – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Positive Reminder: While you are setting up your new alarm, go ahead and rename it from “Alarm” to something more inspirational. I set mine to “Time to make a name for yourself!” That statement comes up every time my alarm goes off and it is the first thing I think about every morning. What statement would motivate you to get out of bed? Put it here!
Here is what I wake up to 6 days a week:
Being able to enjoy waking up is not a myth! You experience this every time you go on vacation or have a fun/exciting event that you look forward to that day. You can have a similar feeling if you prepare yourself and your surroundings so you know the morning will be productive, tailored to what you enjoy, and hassle free!
Do you have another great song suggestion? Leave a comment on this post!
Take Action Today
Prep the night before and set your alarm with one of the songs listed in this post. Try doing this with your alarm set at the normal time at first, then work your way back to give yourself a few extra minutes of relaxation in the morning.
Ready to Take Action? Visit MyDailyMark’s store to grab your Take Action Tattoo’s!